Dear Niles Parents,
This July is the month to celebrate with pride, independence and pageantry with our children. During cultural studies, the children continue to learn about the human body and how it works. Our teachers have prepared educational games and activities that are intertwined with our summer curriculum. Included in the summer curriculum is community helpers. The children will study the roles and responsibilities of our community helpers. They will also go over what tools they use to do their work and how these tools are used when needed. We salute all community helpers for serving us and attending to our needs. Thank you parent volunteers for sharing your knowledge with our children. Please speak to your child’s teacher if you would like to schedule a class presentation.
July 4: Independence Day: No School: This July the children will learn the history of independence and how it is celebrated by many people across the nation. The children will be making Fourth of July wands, cards and many other projects and games to celebrate Independence Day.
July 18: Tuesday, Fire Drill: Practicing disaster drills is very important for the children to practice what to do in case there is an emergency while they are at school.
July 21: Parent Appreciation Day: Parents and guardians play varied roles to the lives of our children. We at Niles warmly greet all parents and guardians for bringing their children to our school. The children will make cards for their parents or guardians for this special day.
July 23: Parent’s Day, Sunday: Happy Parents’ Day to all parents and guardians.
Dear Niles Parents and Families,
Thank you for making Teacher Appreciation Week so very special for us. Your kindness and generosity made us feel so wonderful and made the whole week very memorable.
Thank you for the beautiful flowers, thoughtful messages, and kind gifts that you have showered upon all of us. Your support is truly an inspiration.
Every day, we continue working towards our goal to guide, nurture, and provide wonderful opportunities and experiences to all children at LAPMS.
Thank you for being a part of the LAPMS family
Spring is in full bloom this April! Along with the breeze comes the scent of freshly-cut grass and the warmth and promise of summer vacations, backyard barbecues, and outdoor fun. April is a busy month for all LAPMS students. Classrooms at Niles are buzzing with purposeful work—from toddler children working on building words to pre-K children enjoying gardening and other springtime science activities to Kindergartens preparing for graduation in June. It is a time of reaping the fruits of work so patiently planted like tiny seeds at the beginning of the school year. Parent-Teacher Conference Days begin on April 3rd! It is a golden opportunity to speak with your child’s teacher to communicate any concerns and questions. Page 2 of this newsletter contains the Parent-Teacher Conference schedule. As always, thank you for helping us in improving the quality of education for our children.
March 15th we will be practicing a Fire Drill at 10:30 am. Practicing emergency evacuations is very important so please make sure to drop your child off on time to ensure their participation. Fire/earthquake drills are practiced on a monthly basis to prepare children and staff for a safe exit in the event of an emergency. It is important that you keep all personal information updated (phone numbers and address).
February Event Guidelines
- Thursday, February 2: Groundhog Day: Announcing whether a groundhog sees its shadow after it emerges from its burrow. In cultural studies, the children will learn the history or origin of groundhog day. They will also learn its significance to weather or seasons and even to people.
- Friday, February 3: Student’s 100th Day at school: In cultural studies, the children will learn the history of numbers, digits and counting. The children will enjoy projects in any of the subject areas related to the number 100. These projects will be displayed in your child’s classroom.
- Tuesday, February 14: Valentine’s Day Celebration: The children will create Valentine’s Day art projects for their families or friends. There will be educational and fun materials in the shelves associated with Valentine’s Day.
- Monday, February 20: President’s Day, No School: (Before this day, the children will be learning about the significance of President’s Day and making projects related to this national holiday.
- Monday, February 27: Montessori Week Begins: LAPMS will celebrate Montessori Week from February 27- March 3, 2017 in honor of the 109th anniversary of Montessori Education. A variety of Montessori peace lessons and activities will be presented and studied that promote respect for children and awareness of the Montessori method. These include Montessori Moment of Peace, Peace Tables, Friendship Flower Activities and much more. The children will create booklets about the life and works of Maria Montessori.
- Monday, January 16, 2017: No School: Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Days before this holiday, in social studies and history classes, the children will learn the history and life of Martin Luther King Jr. and its impact on the life of people. They will be creating booklets and special projects in honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Friday, January 27th: Celebration of East Asian Lunar New Year: In cultural studies, the children will learn the history of the lunar new year, the culture and tradition of other people in the world. They will be creating calendars and booklets pertaining to lunar new year. In view of celebrating the lunar new year, the children are welcome to wear a hat or something of their choice that symbolizes the lunar new year. Parents are also welcome to do a lunar year presentation in the classroom. Please speak with your child’s teacher if you are interested.
- Tuesday, January 24th at 10:30 A.M.: Fire Drill: All the children are welcome to participate in this drill.
- Tuesday, January 31st: Student Appreciation Day.